Friday, May 01, 2009

Why do I seem to have such a problem with Salafis? And must I speak out so heavily against them? Well, let me tell you.....

Asalaamu Alaikam,

I would like to relate to you a story from when I first became Muslim. It actually starts the very day that I became Muslim, in the moments that occurred right before I uttered the words of the Shahada.

I was living in Austin, TX, in 2002, and had been learning about Islam for several months. I had met some really wonderful people online who were teaching me about the religion, and helped me to understand many things. They answered my questions respectfully and treated me as an equal to them. I am still friends with some of those wonderful people today.

When I had finally decided that I was ready to "take the plunge" and become a Muslim "officially," one kid told me about a "dawah conference" that was going to be held in Austin on Labor Day weekend. They said that this would be a good place for me to make my public declaration of my acceptance of Islam. I agreed, and made plans to attend.

When I got there, it was a mad house, to put it mildly. It was also quite intimidating. I had never been around Muslims, and here I was in a setting where at least 75% of the women were dressed in all black, wearing veils on their faces, and gloves on their hands. The men all had long beards and looked very stern. A Muslim guy that I knew back then had met me there, and agreed to approach someone to let them know that I wanted to revert. They quickly called this one woman over (dressed in black head to toe, no face showing), and she led me over to the "sister's section."

This is when my first "bad taste" happened. She had a small baby in a carrier, and was struggling to open the door (because her gloved hands couldn't grip the knob to turn it!). Another woman walked up, called her by name, and asked if she could get the door for her. The first woman replied rather haughtily, "if I need help, inshAllah, I'll ask for help, inshAllah." The other woman was taken aback (obviously! wouldn't you be?), and walked away. I'll never forget the attitude. Never. Believe me, I have tried!

So, I was in a room full of women whose faces were hidden, but for a handful here or there, and that day I said the Shahada, and "officially" became Muslim. I still remember how intimidated I felt, and how it was all very surreal. They immediately invited me to start coming to their masjid there in Austin (I didn't even know it was there, and I had gone by that building several times! There were literally no signs to indicate that the building was even occupied!). Because I felt that it was important to be around Muslims, I agreed, and started attending.

My first month of being Muslim was one of the hardest times in my life. I don't know how many times I cried. And no, it was not due to anything that my friends and family were saying or doing to me. My mom was very supportive (she even stitched my first scarf!), and I had pulled away from most of my non-Muslim friends on my own (I just felt that we had nothing in common, and we didn't. They wanted to go do things that I was not interested in). I was crying due to the harsh and rough treatment I was receiving from the "Muslims." These women would literally get in my face and start grilling me about "what do you know so far." They would criticize every little thing I was doing, and let me know that it was wrong. The way that I was praying was wrong, the fact that I didn't wear an abaya was wrong, and that I insisted on praying with "exposed" feet was wrong. Everything was wrong, wrong, wrong.

I would go home from the masjid, crying my eyes out. As soon as I would get home, I would go online and talk to my friends, and ask them what was going on. They explained to me that I was around "Salafis." I had already heard the term "Salafi" prior to becoming Muslim; they used to frequent and flood the chatrooms with their rhetoric (my friends called them "cut and paste Salafis" because they never said anything theirselves, they only quoted their "scholars"). But now I was actually experiencing them IN REAL LIFE. I hated it. I despised it. It made my skin crawl, and I got angry. The more time I spent around these hugely critical and judgmental women, the angrier I got. I would sit there, taking their abuse, and think of how crazy they were!

Then, one day, I saw a woman stand up and attack some other women in the masjid with her abusive words. People who know me, know that I cannot stand to see anyone getting bullied. I am ashamed to say that this day I did nothing, because I was such a new Muslim, and didn't know what I could do. If it ever happens again, trust me, I will say something.

What did this woman do, you may be asking. Well, she stood up and criticized a few of the South Asian women for the manner in which they were praying. There were two or three women who attended the masjid who were not Salafi (not including me, I mean). They came there for the same reason that I did: they thought that they could learn more about Islam, and be around Muslim women. I discovered later that these ladies followed the Hanafi school of thought, and that they were praying in the Hanafi manner for women. Women in the Hanafi school of thought pray in a very modest way. Very modest. They put their hands on their chest (not their belly button, like men), and when they are in sujood (prostrated on the floor, forehead touching the floor), their elbows are not up in the air, but on flat on the floor. They also take special care to have their rears as close to the floor as possible. This woman who attacked them, took it upon herself to tell them that they were "PRAYING LIKE DOGS." She said that they looked like they were "cowering." She said much more, and did wild gestures to show how "ridiculous" they looked. She only ended up showing me how cruel she was. And the whole time while she was on this tirade, the Salafi women were nodding their heads in agreement, and the poor Hanafi women were sitting there, with heads bowed down.

This woman had NO RIGHT to attack their method of prayer. I am also sure that she knew why they were praying like this. Salafis like to openly attack people who dare to follow a madhaab, or school of thought. They think that when you follow a school of thought, you are being ignorant. They will not mince words when they speak out against schools of thought.

I have serious problems with this. Why? Well, it goes back to my pre-Islam days. I was Christian, and grew up in Texas. Texas is more western than southern in culture, but you still get some strong southern influences in parts of the state. The Southern Baptists have a lot of churches and supporters in Texas (Baylor University is in Waco, TX, and that is their crowning glory). You also have a lot of "fundamentalist Christians," and "non-denominationals." Fundamentalists have basically "taken it up a notch" in their interpretation and practice of Christianity. They become "hard core" in their beliefs, and do not tolerate differing views. There is one way, and one way only (hint: it's THEIR way). Non-denominationals are Christians who do not adhere to any one denomination (or church, like Baptist, Lutheran, Methodist, etc), and instead either mix everything together, or create their own "brand" of Christianity. Whichever method they use (mixing or inventing), the non-denominationals think that they are better than those who do attend a particular church that is associated with a denomination. They also publicly speak out against the denominations, saying that those people are being led astray, and are not "true Christians." They claim to be only living by the "word of God."

So...... in my mind, I equate Salafis to these two extremist groups in Christianity. They have invented their own school of thought, yet will never admit to it (it is a school of thought for the simple fact that they have "accepted" scholars, sheikhs, books, etc). They look down their noses and judge anyone who dares to even come close to following a madhaab. And they think that they are better than everyone. They literally feel that they have the right to judge anyone, because they are "true Muslims." Never mind that the Quran says that this is not permitted, they do it anyway!

I could literally go on and on, explaining why I dislike them so much. I suffered at their hands on so many occasions. And it was not just in my first month of being Muslim, that was just the roughest experiences.

I speak out against Salafis because I want people to be aware. I don't want them to fall victim to Salafi rhetoric or bullying. I sometimes wonder how many people have come to islam, and then left because of Salafis? How many decided that this was not what they signed up for, and felt that they couldn't "hack it?" Salafi Islam is NOT Islam. Plain and simple. Islam does not leave you feeling stupid or abused. Islam leaves you feeling enlightened and loved. If you are being abused in wholesale fashion at your masjid, you may be a victim of Salafi rhetoric. Quickly get yourself AWAY from these people, and seek out some nice, moderate Muslims! Before it's too late!




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Understand your feelings about this! They see Islam as a cold, hard, stern, regimented world of rules. There is no colour, no joy, no openness, no love of life what so ever. I feel sorry for them.

Islam is so not that! Islam is full of colour, joy, openness and love of life! Alhamdulillah!

Sugarpea12 said...

Salamu Alaikum. Thank you for this post, it explains so much to me and why I have been made reluctant to attend gatherings precisely due to such behavior. Islam should be explained with gentleness and understanding not with a judgemental attitude which humiliates people as unfortunately happens too often where I live, may Allah reward you, for another heartfelt and truthful post.